What personal information do we collect from the people that visit our blog, website or app?
When ordering or registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your name, email address, mailing address, phone number, credit card information or other details to help you with your experience.
When do we collect information?
We collect information from you when you register on our site, place an ad, subscribe to a newsletter, respond to a survey, fill out a form, open a support ticket or enter information/interact with the diasporaresource.net website. We automatically collect the information sent to us by your computer, mobile device or other equipment that provides access. This information includes, but is not limited to:
- Information from your interaction with diasporaresource.net and it’s services
- Device ID
- Device type
- Geo-location information
- Computer and connection information
- Statistics on page views
- Traffic to and from diasporaresource.net
- Referring URL
- Ad data
- IP address and standard web log information
- Information collected through cookies
- Information collected through web beacons and similar technologies.
Information you provide to us:
We collect and store any information you enter on the website or that you provide to us when you use when you uses services in conjunction with diasporaresource.net. This information includes, but is not limited to:
- Information that you provided when you register for an account or for the services that you use;
- Additional information that you may provide through social media sites or third party services
- Information provided in the context of dispute resolution, correspondence through the diasporaresource.net website or correspondence that is sent to us
- Information about your location and the location of your device, including your device’s unique identifier information if you have enabled this service on your mobile device
- Information you provide us with via feedback on our products or services.
How do we use your information?
We may use the information we collect from you when you register, make a purchase, sign up for our newsletter, respond to a survey or marketing communication, browse the diasporaresource.net website, or use certain other site features which include however not limited to the following ways:
- To personalize your experience and to allow us to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested
- To improve our website in order to better serve you
- To allow us to better service you in responding to your customer service
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature
- To quickly process your transactions
- To ask for ratings and reviews of services or products
- To follow up with them after correspondence (live chat, email or phone inquiries)
- To prevent, detect and investigate potentially prohibited or illegal activities, fraud and security breaches
- To enforce our terms and conditions
How do we protect your information?
Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to such systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. In addition, all sensitive/credit information you supply is encrypted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology.
We implement a variety of security measures when a user places an order enters, submits, or accesses their information to maintain the safety of your personal information. All transactions are processed through a gateway provider and are not stored or processed on our servers.
Do we use ‘cookies’?
- Help us identify you as a user
- Understand and save user’s preferences for future visits
- Keep track of advertisements
- Compile aggregate data about site traffic and site interactions in order to offer
better site experiences and tools in the future
- We may also use trusted third-party services that track this information on our behalf
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being sent, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Since browser is a little different, look at your browser’s help menu to learn the correct way to modify your cookies.
If you turn cookies off, some features will be disabled. It won’t drastically affect the user experience however keeping cookies enabled will make the diasporaresource.net website experience more efficient.
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your Personally Identifiable Information unless we provide users with advance notice. This does not include website hosting partners and other parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or serving our users, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release information when it’s release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others’ rights, property or safety.
However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third-party products or services on our website. These third-party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
Fair Information Practices
The Fair Information Practices Principles form the backbone of privacy law in the United States and the concepts they include have played a significant role in the development of data protection laws around the globe. Understanding the Fair Information Practice Principles and how they should be implemented is critical to comply with the various privacy laws that protect personal information.
CAN SPAM Act
The CAN-SPAM Act is a law that sets the rules for commercial email, establishes requirements for commercial messages, gives recipients the right to have emails stopped from being sent to them, and spells out tough penalties for violations.
We collect your email address in order to:
- Send information, respond to inquiries, and/or other requests or questions
- Process orders and to send information and updates pertaining to orders
- Send you additional information related to your product and/or service
- Market to our mailing list or continue to send emails to our clients after the original
transaction has occurred
To be in accordance with CANSPAM, we agree to the following:
- Not use false or misleading subjects or email addresses
- Identify the message as an advertisement in some reasonable way
- Include the physical address of our business or site headquarters
- Monitor third-party email marketing services for compliance, if one is used
- Honor opt-out/unsubscribe requests quickly
- Allow users to unsubscribe by using the link at the bottom of each email
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, you can email us at legal[@]diasporaresource.net or Follow the instructions at the bottom of each email, and we will promptly remove you from ALL correspondence.
We do not tolerate abuse of the diasporaresource.net website. Users do not have permission to add other diasporaresource.net users to their mailing list (e-mail or postal) for any purpose, even if a user has purchased or communicated with another user, unless the user has given their explicit consent. If you notice that someone is abusing the diasporaresource.net (spam or spoof emails), please notify us by sending an email to support[@]diasporaresource.net.
Last Edited on 2017-11-16